|Login / Logout / Resources for Consumers / Create a FREE Online Account / Contact Us|
|Membership||Issues||Events||Professional Development||Who We Are||Contact|
Email Experience Council Announces Finalists for Email Performance Award
Accor, AOL, Genentech, REI and Wacom Are in the Running
New York, NY, January 18, 2008 — The Email Experience Council (eec), the Direct Marketing Association’s (DMA) email marketing arm, today announced the five finalists for its Email Performance Award, which recognizes an organization that has created an email marketing campaign that demonstrates the full power of the channel. The new eec award is being sponsored by Merkle, one of the nation’s largest and fastest growing providers of data-driven marketing solutions.
The winner of the Email Performance Award, which will be selected by eec members, will be presented during the Email Evolution Conference, which will be held February 12-13 at the Sheraton Hotel & Marina in
In addition to claiming the eec’s highest honor, the winner will also be placed into the semi-finals of the DMA’s International ECHO Awards, which recognize the world’s outstanding direct marketing campaigns based on excellence in strategy, creativity, and results.
In announcing the finalists for the Email Performance Award, Jeanniey Mullen, eec founder and a senior partner and executive director for Email and Dialogue Services at OgilvyOne worldwide, said, “There were some phenomenal entries, which made it very difficult to narrow the field down to these final five. I’d like to personally thank everyone who submitted a nomination. Our five finalists clearly demonstrate that there’s a high level of innovation and creativity going on in the email marketing industry.”
In alphabetical order, the five finalists for the Email Performance Award are:
· Accor: Working with Neolane, the global hotel operator implemented a new email system that allowed them to personalize email content based on customer preferences, behavioral data, financial data, booking history, and other factors — and to do it on a grand scale. In fact, Accor expected to generate more than 50 million dynamically personalized emails by the end of 2007. With better technology and better targeting, Accor was able to reduce its marketing expenses by nearly $500,000 and still generate higher revenues.
· AOL: To address the subpar results of a major advertiser, the Internet service provider developed
· Genentech Inc.: Working with DKI Direct, the biotech company created an email campaign to support its RISE Support online patient relationship marketing program, which seeks to build awareness of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and Rituxan, Genentech’s RA drug. The campaign targets three different segments of the RA market with a strong segmentation strategy and tailored content. Since the launch on March 28, 2007, the RISE Support ePRM program has successfully generated 23,783 enrollments through October 2007, which exceeds the original online acquisition goal for the year by 18 percent.
· REI: Working with Smith-Harmon, the outdoors apparel and gear retailer redesigned its July 7, 2007, “Summer Shoes Gearmail” email, implementing a range of best practices to optimize for viewing in preview panes, to improve readability, and to make calls-to-action more prominent. For the redesigned email, the unique click-through rate rose 22 percent, unique traffic to target specialty shop rose 90 percent, and revenue per email rose 11 percent. Because of the strength of the results of this creative test, REI moved forward with an entire suite of redesigned, maximized email creative templates in time for the critical fourth-quarter period.
· Wacom: Working with eROI, the manufacturer of pen tablets, interactive pen displays, and digital interface solutions created an email campaign that ran for 12 consecutive days, with each day highlighting a different month of the calendar artwork created using their products by up-and-coming artists. The emails invited subscribers to download the calendar as well as upload their own art to Wacom’s site, where the community could vote on their favorite. The winning artist would receive a Cintiq 12WX tablet. During the first six days of the campaign, more than 33,000 new visitors went to Wacom’s site and more than 1,300 works of art were uploaded.
For more details on each of the finalists, including copies of their nomination forms and supporting materials, visit the eec’s Email Performance Awards page.
To register or access additional information about the Email Evolution Conference, which will be held February 12-13 at the Sheraton Hotel & Marina in
DMA will provide complimentary Email Evolution Conference registrations for editorial staff of media outlets that cover email- and direct marketing-related topics. To request press registration, please email DMA at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about our requirements for press credentials, click here.
Goodmail Systems, the maker of CertifiedEmail™, the industry standard class of trusted email, will sponsor the conference’s on-site Press + Blogger Room, which will be open on February 12 and 13.
For additional press information relating to this conference, please contact
# # #
About the Email Experience Council (eec)
The Email Experience Council (eec) (www.emailexperience.org), the Direct Marketing Association’s (DMA) vertical working group that is focused on the email marketing industry, is a global professional organization striving to enhance the image of email marketing and communications, while celebrating and advocating its importance in business, and its ROI value. The eec is committed to regularly conducting a broad series of email initiatives for a variety of organizations that highlight the positive impact and importance of email as a marketing tool, communications vehicle, and branding device. Additionally, eec members are setting the standards for email through Marketing Roundtables. The eec members are representatives of other trade organizations, agencies, advertisers, technology partners, clients, and companies focused on the potential of email marketing via mobile and other digital devices.
About Direct Marketing Association (DMA)
The Direct Marketing Association (www.the-dma.org) is the leading global trade association of businesses and nonprofit organizations using and supporting multichannel direct marketing tools and techniques. DMA advocates standards for responsible marketing, promotes relevance as the key to reaching consumers with desirable offers, and provides cutting-edge research, education, and networking opportunities to improve results throughout the end-to-end direct marketing process. Founded in 1917, DMA today represents nearly 3,600 companies from dozens of vertical industries in the
In 2007, marketers — commercial and nonprofit — spent $173.2 billion on direct marketing in the
The Power of Direct: Relevance. Responsibility. Results.
Merkle (www.merkleinc.com) is one of the nation’s largest and fastest growing providers of data-driven marketing solutions that enable organizations to maximize the results from their marketing investment. Merkle provides strategic consulting, database services, content solutions, analytical services, creative services, and production services to Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations. With over 900 employees, the privately held corporation is headquartered near
About Goodmail Systems
Goodmail Systems makes CertifiedEmail™, the industry standard class of trusted email. CertifiedEmail provides a safe and reliable means for consumers to easily identify authentic messages from legitimate commercial and nonprofit senders. Each CertifiedEmail is sent with a cryptographically secure token that assures authenticity, and is marked in the inbox with a unique blue ribbon envelope icon, enabling consumers to visually distinguish messages which are real and sent from senders with whom they have a pre-existing relationship. Available to senders meeting strict standards for best email practices and low complaint rates, it is the only class of email available that assures delivery of all opt-in email messages to the inbox, with links and images automatically rendered intact, yielding measurable improvements in email program effectiveness. CertifiedEmail has been adopted by seven of the nation’s top ten mailbox providers and 150 government agencies. It is supported in North America and the